Drinking water plays a significant role in an individual’s overall health and well-being. Understanding how water impacts your body, the benefits of water, and the recommended amount of water will help you have more energy, keep focused, and maintain optimal body functions.
How Does Water Affect Your Body?
Water is pertinent in aiding our body to execute many critical functions that are necessary to maintaining optimal health:
- Digestion – Water helps your digestive tract synthesize the foods and beverages you consume and metabolize the nutrients contained in these products.
- The Vascular System – Water is a significant component of your blood which helps the body’s primary nutritional source transport nutrients, minerals, and oxygen through the blood vessels to all vital cells, tissues, and organs.
- Waste Disposal – Water is integral to your body’s ability to eliminate wastes. The substance helps key filtration organs such as the liver, kidneys, and colon create waste products and provides a conduit for these potentially harmful byproducts to exit your body through the process of excretion.
- Structural Maintenance – Water helps your body keep its joints smooth, able to stretch, and less susceptible to pain-inducing and debilitating physical injuries.
- Body Temperature – Water cools your body and prevents its temperatures from rising to levels that could potentially harm your tissues and organs.
The Benefits of Drinking Water
One of the most important reasons you should consume enough water is to avoid dehydration. Not consuming enough water can weaken your immune system which places almost every bodily region at greater risk of developing illness or injury. Dehydration may also exacerbate existing medical conditions. You may also suffer from dry eyes, parched mouth, a dry and irritated nasal cavity, increased fatigue, and muscle cramping.
Drinking increased quantities of water will increase your overall level of health:
- Boost Energy Levels – When you are properly hydrated, all areas of your body are receiving proper nutrition giving you more energy.
- Weight Loss – Increased water intake promotes faster and greater bodily removal of waste which facilitates weight loss.
- Mental Clarity – When your brain receives water, your memory, focus, and concentration levels improve.
- Skin Condition and Clarity – Water keeps your skin healthy, lubricated, and aesthetically appealing.
How Much Water Should I Drink?
Many medical professionals recommend drinking at least eight ounces of water per day. Some physicians and nutritionists suggest adult men drink as many as 13 cups per day and women consume up to nine cups. The water intake recommendations do not take into account other factors such as age, gender, general health, or your level of physical activity so depending on your lifestyle you may need to drink more or less water.
Tips to Drink More Water
It can be difficult for some to drink enough water due to its taste or simply not making it a priority during the day. Follow these tips to drink enough water:
- Carry a water bottle with you everywhere you go
- Sip instead of gulping to avoid bloating
- Drink flavored water
- Consume food that is high in water
To increase your level of energy and nutrition, contact Cenegenics Houston for a customized nutrition and lifestyle plan.